I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.---1 Samuel 1:27

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Difficult day and More Need to Knows

Today has been difficult. I know that it's not the end of the world and people do have to sometimes take a little longer. I guess the reason I was so worried and confused today was that I had my bags packed, money ready, barf bag and clean up towels ready to go. We were waiting for the call this morning at 8:00am to tell us either what time today or worst case Wednesday. At 8:00, I get an email saying that we will know by 11:00. At 11:00, we were told Thursday because the judge was in a criminal case. Around 2:00 we were told probably Friday.

My concern and tears came from not knowing when it would end. I wonder what kind of criminal case this is and how long would it really take? I was thinking how the judge had to have known this before today. Why wait until now to tell us? We have been told that the judge is against this adoption. I don't know if that was our adoption or American adopting Colombians in general.

It is really hard to understand the translations that I get online when it has to do with court. I do like that our Attorney is emailing us updates. We then translate it using a Spanish translator. But, sometimes it is better than trying to coordinate calling your translator and her getting a hold of the attorney. It is hard for Marly to understand all of the legal terms as well. Nichole, Lucia, and Julie have really helped us to understand things. We really appreciate them not getting mad every time we email with questions and freak out. It is sometimes difficult when there are changes and understanding why. I never knew how Type A I was until I came here.

Don't get me wrong, everything is going well other than just the worry of why the changes. We have been told that the judge has until Tuesday to sign the decree. So, there is an end. I thought today, that it was possible to be here until whenever he felt like signing. I just don't want to scare anyone. This is the process.

I just pray that God opens this judges heart. I pray that even before he sees us, that he sees the love we have for one another. I know that our family will be together soon.

Need to Knows:
Well, I have learned a couple more things since being here that might help everyone. I talked earlier about laundry. I don't remember what I said, but SCRATCH IT!
We got our bill for 3 different times doing laundry. We were told it was expensive, but we paid $75 each time. We didn't have anymore than 1 regular laundry bag (mostly baby clothes). CRAZY. For some reason, we thought it was like $15
My recommendation- bring tide (which I did) and wash your own clothes. I have no problem with that. I just have a hard time paying that much money. You also need an iron. The lady at the front desk said there may be something else we can do with laundry. So look into that before your first load. As for me, I'm doing it myself.

Bring your own lumfa's (washcloths). You have to pay for the ones here for $1.50. Then pay to have it washed. It is easier to pack the lumfa's. That is an easy fix.

The pizza place around the corner across from Tropical Pollo. Marly's parents know the owners really well. When you go there, tell them that you are the Americans (they call us Green go's for fun- not sure on the spelling of that). Tell them your room # and what you would like on your pizza. Get there card. Then when you call from the hotel, we just say Hola. Green go's. and they come with pizza just like we love it. This is so funny. Just remember to have the exact change because he will not bring any money with him.

Airline Again= We use AVIANCA. We like this airline because there offices are everywhere and honor waiving the change fee (with a little persistance because everyone doesn't know this who works there). We had to change our tickets today from Bogota to Miami. We needed to back them up. When I originally got the tickets, they assured me that we could change our tickets without being charged a change fee. This is for Adoptions only. At home, I confirmed this 2 different times. Both times they originally told me that there is no such thing. You have to be persistent for them to ask their supervisor. Then you will get the go ahead.

When you are in Cucuta, you have to go to the downtown main office. Here is the address Principal Av. O Avenida O #13-84 phone # is (57) (7) 5 716 151. The hours are Monday-Friday 8:00am -12:00pm then 2:00pm-6:00pm. Sat. 8:00- 12:00 (i think it is 12). Make sure you get there when the doors open. It was so busy. We were first and the room was packed after us.

It took us 1 hour to get the changes. We were told no. They called Bogota and again told no. I said please ask a supervisor. They called Bogota again and said yes. They kept telling me to do it by phone, but I knew that I had to do it in the office. Turns out that was correct. So we did get the change. They assured us that we would be able to change it again in Bogota if we needed. They couldn't give me anyone specific to talk to other than to ask for a supervisor. Make sure you do this 2 days prior to flight.

Well that is all for now. I am sleepy :) Have a good night.

4 comments:

deanna willett said...

Hang in there. We had a judge in Monteria who was also against intl. adoption and drug his feet. In our final decree he even included a whole section of why Colombian children should remain in Colombia. We are praying for you guys. I know its hard.

Ah, laundry. The one thing about our trip that really bugged us. We could not find a laundromat in Monteria and the hotel charged $1 and item. We tried to wash items out by hand but it was so humid in Monteria that nothing dried. We couldn't leave them to dry in the bathroom because our room was swarming with bugs and ants. Everyday the housekeepers came to spray for us.

Just remember what important..your beautiful baby girl! It will all work out okay.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how difficult these setbacks must be Rhonda! I am so sorry that you are going through it all. It was good to see that there is an end in sight on Tuesday. Hopefully, it won't be that long. I'll send out a few more prayers for you!

Anonymous said...

Rhonda, even in your pain you're able to help others! Thanks so much for the information about the laundry and airline. I hear Delta has the adoption fare too so now we have another option with Avianca to look into for when we travel. We're praying. Do you think you got all the pictures and souvenirs you want for Mya's lifebook?

Genece said...

Hoping for the best, and the sooner the better. Won't it be a pleasant surprise to get that phone call stating you have only hours to get there for the signing of the decree? I'll bet it works that way for you too as it did for us!

The laundry... this was the biggest shock to us the costly expense that it is there in the hotel. Very costly and after the third go-around on having laundry done we agreed it was time to do it by hand and hang dry. Upon our arrival in Bogota it was so nice to have access to a washer and dryer. You learn so much appreciation for luxury items while there in Colombia, that's for sure! I'm glad I was able to warn you of the huge expense a load of laundry costs there at the hotel. I totally forgot to tell you about the washcloths! So sorry. We took a jumbo pack of 12 with us and used them sparingly and washed them ourselves. Sure beat the 1.50 charge for that cheap version the hotel sells. I'm glad you're able to detail these little things on your blog to help others. Your helpful hints and tips will certainly help others who don't realize what they may be in for.

Hang in there. It's bound to happen soon! Just remember, some of the finer things in life demand patience. Someday you'll reflect on this experience and it'll all feel like this incredible dream you vaguely remember (as both Rick and I feel now just one and a half years following the adoption of our wonderful threesome.)