I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.---1 Samuel 1:27

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

More info

I should probably go back through this blog and just make a list of suggestions. It would probably be easier. Until then, take some notes I guess. I wish I did. It's funny, because I remember now Genece telling me that the laundry was expensive, but I couldn't remember how much. When you are getting ready, it is so hard to think of everything. Yes, pack less.

We only brought 1 large bag, 1 carry on luggage, (per person). We also each wore a book bag (which doesn't count as a carry on and a laptop). This was more than enough.

Things I use:
pool float for Mya (it was easy to pack and very necessary)
umbrella stroller (add a little extra pouch on the back- $5 at babies r us, target- very handy)
Tide
detergent soap (you can buy it here if you need- we use it to wash out plastic bowls and spoons we brought for mya. we put leftovers in the bowls- works out great
blow up balls- gave to the orphanage, bubbles
anything deflatable
iron
laundry bag
sponge for dish washing or bottle cleaner
sunscreen
PediPed shoes (these are such a great idea because you don't have to have the exact size. These shoes are sold from 12-18 months. 18-24 months. You have a better chance of them fitting. I would definetly bring something, because she came with tight dress shoes. There are places where you can get shoes, but not this cute:)
blow up bath tub- we bought it here for $30 at the mall ( bring it if you can)
crib sheet

Things I wish I had:
more crossword puzzles for Troy and Diane
DVD player with movies (not sure it would have fit, but would have been nice) Mya sleeps a lot
more jeans- i only brought 1 pair. in cucuta, you mainly see jeans. at the hotel, you see it all right down to a g-string.
sweater for myself and at least 1-2 warmer outfits for Mya for days in Pamplona. It is cold there. Also, when we got off the plane in Bogota, it was breezy. It felt great!
my pillow- I would have done without some clothes to have my pillow right now. the ones here are ok, but i miss that pillow
*pack and play- be sure that you don't put young babies in the packnplay. Mya gets stuck down in the side all the time. I'm always pulling her out. I'm sure they have more than this one, but it is also really slanted. Poor things slides all around. She is safe in it, but a baby younger than her would not be. I know I have mentioned this before.
OH BRING your flash drive when you get your children. ICBF usually has pictures on their computer of the kids that you probably haven't seen. They just saved them on our attorney's flash drive. We were so grateful. What a gift. I am such a picture person. It hurts to miss out on all of those first pictures.

I haven't used yet:
blow dryer- have one here
converter kit for outlets- most outlets are fine here
umbrella- it has rained a few times though- we just haven't been caught yet

Things we do to keep busy:
pool- we were shocked at how cold all of the pools are here (oh, there is a pool in the back of the hotel that is more private)
go to mall
exito
make a shutterfly book about the trip- i love shutterfly
read
eat
play
sleep
computer
work out- there is a really nice gym with awesome spin and aerobic classes. If you can talk hubby into holding down the fort, then your golden.
journal

Someone asked if I was able to get souvenirs. Funny you should ask. Justin would say absolutely. I say, no. There are not a lot of stores that have Colombian souvenirs. There is one in the big mall that has 3 stories. It is on the 3rd story. There is 1-2 downtown, but you won't be able to get a ton of stuff from any of these stores. I am hoping to get more in Bogota. Oh, Pamplona has an awesome store with hammocks, Pancho's for adults and children, and wraps. This was awesome. I definitely wanted a pancho for Mya. I have posted a picture of her in it. I wanted to get 18 presents for her and give her 1 every year. The problem is, I am horrible with surprises and want to give it all to her now. So, that's not going to work out. Plus there is no way I can find 18 gifts unless I do a lot of jewelry.

I think I am going to do the shutterfly book, a few keepsakes, and we will celebrate her Gotcha Day every year. Do other families do more? What presents did you just love?

Some days Cucuta is REALLY HOT, but for the most part you get a great breeze and really nice weather. We love to be outside for the most part.

Well, I need to get to bed. I just wanted to take advantage of the WIFI working in the room and Mya being asleep.

No comments: